Thursday, June 6, 2013

Blog 26: Senior Project Reflection


(1) Positive Statement

What are you most proud of in your 2-Hour Presentation and/or your senior project? Why?

Being able to discover what I want to do with my future career. Without this presentation and senior year project I wouldn’t know what I wanted to do for college. It helped me get our there into the community to be able to see and work side by side with the physical therapists while they are doing their job. By the time of my 2 hour presentation I have had enough research and experience to just talk about my knowledge that I have gained throughout this entire year. I am just proud of completing this presentation and I also think that this could have been my best presentation throughout my whole 4 years at I-Poly, especially doing it on my own.

(2) Questions to Consider

a.       What assessment would you give yourself on your 2-Hour Presentation (self-assessment)?

AE


b.      What assessment would you give yourself on your overall senior project (self-assessment)

P/AE


(3) What worked for you in your senior project?

What worked for me was being able to have actually gone through my own experience with physical therapy. I have been playing volleyball since the 6th grade as well, which helped me understand what injuries occur with that sport. I got lucky to be in a small physical therapy room and the only volunteer there at Emeritus. I could ask all the questions I wanted, I got to do a lot more that I would have done anywhere else. Such as using their equipment, having my mentor Emilly Savilla assist me into doing treatments on her patients and leading exercises. My mentorship was so much fun and I don’t think I could have gotten that experience from anywhere else.

(4) (What didn't work) If you had a time machine, what would have you done differently to improve your senior project if you could go back in time?

What didn’t work was finding other places to volunteer. I tried so many sport physical therapy places and couldn’t volunteer in any of them. I wanted to go to physical therapy clinics that specialized in sport injuries to help me get a better understanding of what a PT would do, because there could be different techniques/approaches that they would take. All of the places I went to were full with volunteers and if I got to go, a week later college kids took my spot. So, all in all, I wish I could of kept looking for more places to volunteer at throughout the year instead of just the summer and beginning of the second semester.

(5) Finding Value

How has the senior project been helpful to you in your future endeavors?   Be specific and use examples. 

Easy, college! It helped me pick my major which is kinesiology. I know I want to become a physical therapist and it helped me narrow down my school choices that met my criteria. During mentorship at Emeritus I got to make new connections with all the physical therapist there along with having hands on experience on treating patients. I now know what I am in for, therefore I know my goals and excited for my future to come.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the post you do. I like your post and all you share with us is up to date and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job. Preferred Rehab

    ReplyDelete