Thursday, April 25, 2013

Blog 21:Independent Component 2


LITERAL
(a) “I, Olivia Pinedo, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.”


(b) Emeritus Assisted living in San Dimas and Peachwood Physical Therapy in Glendora


(c) 30 hours sheet



(d) I got to talk more with the physical therapists and they have helped me a lot with coming up with ideas for my senior project. They gave me feedback on my activities, what equipment I should use and other props I could have in my presentation room. I got to go to a new facility for a little while called Peachwood where I met new people and got to see what a sport rehabilitation center looks like. They had more equipment and exercise machines than Emeritus. This component mainly helped me setting up and preparing myself for my actual presentation. Such as information I should say, tools I could use and how to organize everything.

INTERPRETIVE


In the pictures in the link below you will see the environment and equipment that’s in the physical therapy room. There is a photo of weights but I have the ankle/wrist weights that you wrap around and do lifting exercise with. Then I have photos of the pictures that they had in their room because I got to study them most of the time that I was there. I got to learn about the body and they have descriptions of certain injuries as well on them. Another picture looks like a brown cylinder looking shape and that is called a foam roller. It is used for the patient’s legs mainly here. Usually the patient lies down and put it under their knee. One photo has a bucket filled with poles, those are weights as well. They are meant for arm exercises. I got to guide the patients to make sure they were using those properly and showed them what they can do next. Lastly, in the picture where there is a blue ankle/wrist weight there is also the most important tool for the physical therapists. Its called the belt. Since most of the patients there can barely walk they use the belt on them at all times. It provides the physical therapists to be able to hold on to the patients better when doing activities. It helps the PT’s get the patients up, stabilize them and helps their safety for any precautions.


Photos:









APPLIED:

I pretty much already knew my answers for my EQ but this component helped me support my answers. For evaluation I got to see the physical therapists fill out the forms and see how they evaluated their patients. Not only did I get to see the sheets that they had to fill out but when I got to file their papers from the last 2-3 years I saw how they filled out those sheets at least every week when they saw the patient. Sometimes when I get to Emeritus a little late all the physical therapists and OT’s are at their end of the day shift and are filling out the papers so that gives me time to ask them questions about what they do and what goes on besides the treatments. For my next answer, I got to observe how the physical therapists stretched their patients. Most of the physical therapists were helpful for me because they would explain what kind of injury that person had and why they are doing certain exercises. A lot of the patients I got to see had hip surgeries and went to the physical therapy room at Emeritus. I learned how to stretch the hip conductors and how to get results ( being able to stretch further than they previous could). My mentor Emily, really helped me by coming up with activities and exercises that I could do for my activity for my third answer. She told me what kind of equipment I need and how I need to use time as a key for endurance training and for strength training I need to use proper techniques. For that activity she told me do ladders, box jumps, jump roping, weights, medicine balls, and our own strength.



No comments:

Post a Comment